Landlord Gas Safety Certificates

By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it is a Landlord’s responsibility to get a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property. If you use an agent to manage your property, you need to make sure your contract clearly states in black and white whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances.  You must also keep copies of all the paperwork.  You’ll need to keep a record of the safety inspection for two years, and give a copy to all of your tenants within 28 days of the inspection.  If your tenants change, the new occupants will need a copy of the Gas safety certificate (CP12) before they move in.  If your contract states that the agent is responsible, then the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are passed on to them. Once the necessary checks have been carried out, a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) would be provided and issued as evidence that the Safety Check was completed.

Our 10 Point Gas Safety Inspection includes the following checks:

  • Check appliances for gas tightness.
  • Check standing and working pressures if test points are available.
  • Check burner pressures/gas rate in accordance with the required specification.
  • Check all CO/CO2 emissions are in accordance with the required specification.
  • Check for satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Test flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion where necessary.
  • Check satisfactory operation of all the flame failure and safety devices.
  • Check for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of any stability brackets (where appropriate).
  • Investigate any evidence of unsafe operation and report to a responsible person.  An appliance cannot be deemed as having been checked until the above has been completed.
  • Carry out a gas tightness test of the full system.